Thursday 1 January 2015

Focus OLW 2015

I have chosen the word FOCUS to be my One Little Word/theme/mantra for 2015.

My word came to me when I was talking to someone new about my art and what I did this year and said that I really had to focus more on doing one thing instead of being a 'jack of all trades and master of none'.  I didn't really know where I was going in 2014 and tried to do too many things and know now that I have to concentrate on one thing and not spread myself so thin.

I am Artist of the Month for an art journaling group I'm in and have decided to guide the group through One Little Word 2015.

One Little Word started with Ali Edwards and here's a quote from her blog:

About One Little Word®

A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything. It can be sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow.
In 2006 I began a tradition of choosing one word for myself each January – a word to focus on, mediate on, and reflect upon as I go about my daily life. My words have included play, peace, vitality, nurture, story, light, up, open and thrive. These words have each become a part of my life in one way or another. They've been imbedded into who I am and into who I'm becoming. They've been what I've needed most (and didn't know I needed). They've helped me to breathe deeper, to see clearer, to navigate challenges, and to grow.
I hope you'll consider joining me for the next One Little Word® workshop in January 2015 here at aliedwards.com.
Check out all my blog posts regarding One Little Word® here.
Click here to read a FAQ and more details about this project.
 1. Decide on your word.

You need to choose a word that resonates with you, instead of having a New Year's Resolution you choose a word for the year.  For a list of words check out Ali's blogpost here.

My word for 2014 was Grow.  My word for 2013 was Believe. My word for 2012 was Courage.

Activity 1 -  I used one of my little books for the activities but an art journal is ideal too. Write/doodle/decorate your word - see first photo.

2. Define your word.
Find a definition of your word that suits your purpose.

FOCUS:
1. The centre of interest or activity.
2. The state or quality of having or producing clear visual definition.
3. Pay particular attention to.

Activity 2 - write these words in your journal. 


3. How will you apply your word?

Activity 3 - write how you will apply your word over the year as this will help you to make it happen.

Focus:
1. Create one girl each week and put it in my Etsy shop or for sale in exhibitions.
2. Use gelli prints in my art - my girls and collages.
3. Create tutorials for Cre8ive Klatch.
4. Do less swaps and art journaling.


4. Create a bookmark.

Activity 4 - create a bookmark with your word on it and keep it in your planner journal so you see it throughout the year. I started with a rectangle of manilla folder, you could use cardstock or an index card, then I covered it in a gelli print and collaged lace and a border and washi tape on it and then stamped on it and used my gel pen. I kept on going until I was happy.



Extra fun activities...

5. Pinterest Board.

Activity 5 - Each year I create a Pinterest board for my word and pin related pins.  It's fun and inspirational especially for the following activities.

Here are my boards:  Focus, Grow, Believe.

6. Create a reverse acronym for your word.

Activity 6 - Pinterest helped with this one.... Focus = Follow One Course Until Successful.


7. Quotes with your word in it.

Activity 7 - this is where Pinterest is helpful and the google.  Find a quote with your word in it that speaks to you and write/doodle/decorate it in your journal.

"It's important to FOCUS on what we do best and master one craft at a time." - Russell Simmons


Ladies, I hope you have fun with these activities, I recommend the first four to get the most out of your OLW, but the more you do the fun it will be.

Please leave a comment with your chosen word below as I'd love to make a list of the words chosen.  Thank you!!! Or add your blog to the linky below!

Have  a great 2015!!!

5 comments:

  1. This is delightful Michelle…I love the extras you've created here as a reminder to stay on track... I hope you have an incredible year….it seems you are already well underway with this strong intention! Here's my word for 2015 :: http://www.catathenalouise.com/2015/01/one-little-word-2015-enjoy.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ideas on how to expound your word are great, Michelle!! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle - this is such a great post. I love all the activities you have suggested. They are so helpful for fleshing out what the word means to you. I plan to come back and link up as soon as I have finished my post.

    ReplyDelete

All comments moderated. Please leave a comment after the beep....beeeeep...