Wednesday 1 January 2014

Grow OLW 2014

I have chosen the word GROW to be my One Little Word/theme/mantra for 2014.

GROW
1. To increase in size by a natural process.
2. a. To expand; gain: The business grew under new owners.
b. To increase in amount or degree; intensify: The suspense grew.
3. To develop and reach maturity.
4. To be capable of growth; thrive: a plant that grows in shade.
5. To become attached by or as if by the process of growth: tree trunks that had grown together.
6. To come into existence from a source; spring up: love that grew from friendship.
7. To come to be by a gradual process or by degrees; become: grow angry; grow closer.
I love these quotes:
“Don't go through life, grow through life.”- Eric Butterworth
“If we don't change, we don't grow. If we don't grow, we are not really living.”  - Gail Sheehy
It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/e/eecummin161593.html#OQYfw2L7WAXtuLBA.99
It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/e/eecummin161593.html#OQYfw2L7WAXtuLBA.99
 "It takes courage to grow up and become who we really are."  E E Cummings.
There's more on my Pinterest Grow OLW 2014 board. 
In 2014 I will grow....
- by learning, changing, developing my artistic style
- by making mistakes, taking risks, stretching out of my comfort zone
- by sharing my knowledge, skills, talents and compassion with my art communities
- by showing up and making an effort whether I want to or not


I decided on the word GROW a couple of months ago when my BFF said "maybe it's your time to grow".  I had been discussing how I felt about my art, or my lack of feelings for art except sadness and how I had taken a lot of classes and it was time to find my style.

It's time to listen to me, how I feel about what I'm creating, does it bring me joy?  Do what you love - it's a common phrase in the art world but I love a few different things.  Listening to others and teachers has brought me down in the past (as well as listening to myself) so I need to start a positive loop in my head.

I have a lot of art books so I will look to them to try out some new techniques and ideas to be creative.  I love to be creative, it brings me joy.  Techniques....well that's when the comparison monster invades my head and says I'll never be good enough or so and so is better than me so it may be best to stay away from the computer and comparing myself to others.

One Little Word started with Ali Edwards and here's a quote from her blog:


About One Little Word®

A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything. It can be sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow.
In 2006 I began a tradition of choosing one word for myself each January – a word to focus on, mediate on, and reflect upon as I go about my daily life. My words have included play, peace, vitality, nurture, story, light, up, open and thrive. These words have each become a part of my life in one way or another. They've been imbedded into who I am and into who I'm becoming. They've been what I've needed most (and didn't know I needed). They've helped me to breathe deeper, to see clearer, to navigate challenges, and to grow.
I hope you'll consider joining me for the next One Little Word® workshop in January 2015 here at aliedwards.com.
Check out all my blog posts regarding One Little Word® here.
Click here to read a FAQ and more details about this project.

If you have blogged about your One Little Word for the year and would like to read about what others have decided on for their word then head to the Fly Tribe Word Hop and join in.
 

    5 comments:

    1. May you grow and flourish in unexpected and beautiful ways! Happy 2014! C x

      ReplyDelete
    2. Grow was my word last year and I loved it. I hope you are as blessed by it as I was. <3

      ReplyDelete
    3. A fabulous word for you Michelle :) "Grow" Wishing you an abundance of Art and creativity in 2014 x

      ReplyDelete
    4. great word fly sister! I wish you a wonderful year of stretching and growing in all areas of your art and life. xxx

      ReplyDelete
    5. I wish you much growth and a rewarding journey through the new year as you experience your word and what it means to you. I found your post inspiring, even though I haven't found my own word yet.
      Best,
      Kim

      ReplyDelete

    All comments moderated. Please leave a comment after the beep....beeeeep...