Friday 12 April 2013

Stencils and Masks for Gelli Plate

I'm still addicted to my gelli plate - just love it and I've been on Pinterest looking to see what others are doing and getting some great ideas.  One of these was from Linda Germain, did you know she makes her own plate from gelatine?!  It was about using shapes from magazines as stencils and masks and she gives some great tips and hints in this post.

But I imagined that the paper would only last for one use, I did not even experiment to find out.  I cut out around the shape/person then covered both sides with self adhesive contact paper then used a craft/xacto knife to cut around the silhouettes. This has made them re-usable.

Here are some of the masks I made yesterday:


Here's the fun I had with them!!!


 This one needs a wine glass!!! It's very tricky to get the two layers to match up but I did a great job with these, you don't want to see some of the others I did -just one of the challenges I love about the gelli plate.


They will all look much better framed....


Above - Adele with shadow....


I cover the gelli plate with paint then add the mask, picture on left.  Once I've made a print I take off the mask and if I'm lucky then the paint sticks to the plate not the mask and I can make a great second print, picture on right.

I plan to make some stencils using the contact paper and have some more fun.

Here are some more of my blogs about my gelli art.

ETA:
Do you love creating gelli prints?  Want a place to discuss gelli printing?  To show off your work?  Share your ideas? Discuss the pros and cons of different paints/paper/plates/tools etc?  Get some great ideas on what to do with the thousands of prints you have created?

Then I would love you to join me at the Gelatin Printing Enthusiasts Facebook Group. This group is open to people who use a Gelli Arts Plate or who make their own gelatin plate.



3 comments:

  1. Wow, looks like fun! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gelli plates are amazing! Your ideas and resulting prints are gorgeous!! Aloha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle, I found your blog from a Facebook post by Gelli Arts. I too have been making masks from magazine photos (I get lots of fashion magazines at a used book store). So much fun! I also make masks from shapes cut with my Cricut - the cardstock shapes actually become sturdier as I use them and they get a few layers of paint on them... Love your artwork!

    ReplyDelete

All comments moderated. Please leave a comment after the beep....beeeeep...